It's officially treat season, and I must say, I prefer my treats with as few tricks as possible, so I made up this little ditty. These almond butter cups, are resemblant of a childhood staple (at least for my Halloween) Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. However, my version is paleo friendly, vegan, organic, and will actually satisfy your sweet tooth in a way that feels like self care.
Let me break it down....
You will need
10 Mini Cupcake Wrappers
1/2 Cup Cocoa Butter
5 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter (I like crunchy, but live your dreams)
4 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
A dash of salt
1) In a double boiler, (or a pot with a bowl over it) bring 1 cup of water to a boil. When the water is a raging turn the heat down to medium and place the cocoa butter in the bowl/boiler. Once the butter has melted, remove from heat completely.
2) Add cocoa powder, and 2 of the tablespoons of coconut sugar to the butter, stir until smooth. Congratulations, your antioxidant packed chocolate mixture has come together.
3) Put one teaspoon of the chocolate mixture into each of the cupcake wrappers. Put them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
4) While your chocolate base is hardening, let's get a crackalakin on your almond goodness. Easy breezy. Take your almond butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar and combine until smooth, add a pinch of sea salt if you desire. Microwave this mixture for 20 seconds or so, so it's super smooth and easy to manipulate.
5) Take your chocolate cups out and add about 1/2 of a teaspoon of the almond butter mixture to each cup. From there, top each cup off with another teaspoon or so of the rest of the chocolate mixture to seal the deal.
6) Put these little morsels of goodness back in the freezer for another 15 minutes or so, eh viola! Enjoy!
I would love to know what you think! Try 'em and leave a comment below.